Plenary Speakers: P1 , P2, P4: Oct. 9th 10:00-12:30 , P3: 9:00-9:30 Oct.10, P5: Oct.10th 9:30-10:00
- P1: Upinder S. Bhalla (The National Centre of Biological Science, Bangalore)
"Electricity meets Chemistry: Fast and Slow Signaling in Memory "
- P2: Atsushi Miyawaki (Riken Brain Science Institute)
"Spatio-temporal Patterns of Intracellular Signaling"
- P3: Stephen Quake (Stanford University / HHMI)
"Biological Large Scale Integration"
P4: Luis Serrano (European Molecular Biology Laboratory)
"Evolvability and hierarchy in rewired bacterial gene networks"
- P5: Steve Oliver (University of Manchester)
"Dealing with the complexity of a 'simple' eukaryotic cell"
Final Panel: Oct.11th, 17:00-18:00
- "Perspective on Systems Biology"
Chairs: Hiroaki Kitano and Stafen Hohmann
Panelists: Edda Klipp, Hans Westerhoff, Roger Brent, Masaru Tomita, Marc Vidal, Upinder S. Bhalla, Stephen R. Quake, Sang Yup Lee, Stephen G. Olliver
Sessions: (as of Oct 8th, 2006)
Systems Biology for Medicine
- Systems Biology for Drug Discovery - Oct. 9th, 14:00-16:30
Chairs: John Morser (Nihon Shering) , Osamu Sato (Dai-ichi Pharmaceuticals)
- Klaus Prank (GlaxoSmithKline)
"From Molecular Events to Clinical Outcome: Computational Systems Biology in the Pharmaceutical Industry"
- Joseph Lehár (CombinatoRX)
"Harnessing Systems Biology using Chemical Synergies"
- Daniel Young
"Application of Systems Biology for Pharmaceutical Drug Development: Improving 'Translational Research'"
- Didier Scherrer (AstraZeneca)
"Systems Biology in Drug Discovery and Development: Impact and Challenges"
- Masato Miyake (CytoPathfinder)
"Technological breakthrough for cell-based target discovery"
- Cardiovascular Systems Biology - Oct. 10th, 10:30-12:30
Chairs: Do Han Kim (Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology)
- Giovanni Paternostro (Burnham Institute for Medical Research)
"Cardiac Systems Biology"
- Akinori Noma (Kyoto University)
"Kyoto Model, a comprehensive cardiac cell model"
- Jonathan Seidman (Harvard Medical School)
"Cardiomyopathy in Mice and Men"
- Tatsuhiko Kodama (University of Tokyo)
" Direct observation of transcription in the human cell using tiling array "
- Systems Immunology - Oct. 10th, 14:00-16:30
Chairs: Marie Csete (Emory Univ.)
- Juergen Haas (University of Munich)
" Evolution and divergence of herpesviral protein interaction networks "
- Peter Ghazal (University of Edinburgh)
"Pathway Biology Approach to the Interferon System"
- Gilles Clermont (University of Pittsburgh)
"The Center for Inflammation and Regenerative Medicine: a service model"
- Roland Eils (DKFZ Heidelberg)
"To kill or not to kill - Decision making in Natural Killer Cells"
- Marie Csete (Emory University)
" Stem Cells and Pain: Linking Immunity to Regeneration "
- Systems Biology of Diabetes - Oct. 11th, 9:15-10:30
Chairs: Pierre De Meytes (Hagedom Reserach Institute)
- Pierre De Meyts (Hagedom Research Institute)
"Understanding diabetes pathogenesis: the need for systems biology "
- Allan Karlsen (Novo Nordisk A/S)
"A systems biology approach to type 1 diabetes"
- Nathan Goodman (Institute for Systems Biology)
"The transcriptome as a window into pathogenesis of type 1 diabetes "
- Cancer Systems Biology -
Chairs: Roland Eils (DKFZ Heidelberg), Charles Auffray (CNRS and Pierre & Marie Curie University - Villejuif)
- Ursula Klingmueller (DKFZ Heidelberg)
"Design Principles of the JAK-STAT Signaling Pathway"
- Charles Auffray (CNRS and Pierre & Marie Curie University - Villejuif)
"Predicting the outcome of chemotherapy through pathway modelling"
- Avijit Ghosh (Drexel University)
"From Simulation to Therapy: A Systems Biology Approach to Oncogene Detection"
Systems Biology of Basic Biological Systems
- Cyclic and Dynamic Behaviours - Oct. 9th, 14:00-16:30
Chairs: Hiroki Ueda (RIKEN CDB), Lilia Alberghina (Univ. of Milano-Bicocca)
- John Tyson (Virginia Tech)
"A Generic Model of Cell Cycle Regulation in Eukaryotes"
- Lilia Alberghina (University of Milano-Bicocca)
"Probing structure and dynamics of cell cycle in budding yeast"
- Takao Kondo (Nagoya University)
"Circadian Systems of Cyanobacheria"
- Hiroki Ueda (Riken Center for Developmental Biology)
"Analysis and Synthesis of Circadian Clock"
- Andrew J. Millar (University of Edinburgh)
"Evolution of clock circuits across biology, and clock labs across the world: a new International Alliance"
- Yeast Systems Biology - Oct. 10th, 10:30-12:30
Chairs: Stefan Hohmann (Goteborg Univ.), Steve Oliver (University of Manchester)
- Edda Klipp (Max Planck Institute for Molecular Genetics)
"Dynamic Modeling of Stress Response of Yeast Cells"
- Roger Brent (Molecular Sciences Institute)
"Quantitative physiology of a cellular information sensing and relaying system"
- Mike Tyers (Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute)
"Interrogation of cellular networks"
- Alejandro Colman-Lerner (Molecular Sciences Institute)
"Sources and control of cell to cell variation in the response of yeast to mating pheromone"
- Metabolomics and Bioprocess - Oct. 10th, 14:00-16:30
Chairs: Sang Yup Lee (KAIST), Marta Cascante (Univ. of Barcelona)
- Bernhard Palsson (UCSD)
"Bottom-up Reconstruction of the Human Metabolic Network based on Build-35 and Bibliomic data"
- Sang Yup Lee (KAIST)
"Systems Level analysis and Engineering of Industvial Bacteria"
- Masaru Tomita (Keio University)
"Metabolome Analysis and Synthetic Biology"
- Marta Cascante (University of Barcelona)
"A Systems Biology Approach to Identify and Therapeutically Exploit the Weakness of the Robust Tumour Metabolism"
- Developmental Systems Biology - Oct. 11th, 9:15-10:30
Chairs: Shuichi Onami (RIKEN GSC), Fabio Piano (New York Univ.)
- Fabio Piano ( NYC)
"C. elegans early embryogenesis: global, local and evolutionary views"
- Shigeru Kondo (Nagoya University)
"Interactions among the Pigment Cells of Zebrafish Give Rise to Turing Pattern"
- Shuichi Onami (RIKEN)
"Quantitative analysis of C. elegans embryogenesis"
- Fabio Piano ( NYC)
- Systems Neurobiology - Oct. 11th, 11:00-12:30
Chairs: Upi Bhalla (National Centre for Biological Science, Bangalore), Boris Kholodenko (Thomas Jefferson Univ.), Nicolas Le Novere (EBI)
- August B. Smit (Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam)
"Understanding Molecular Complexity a the Neuronal Synapse"
- James Douglas Armstrong (University of Edinburgh)
"Modeling Structure and Function of the Post-Synaptic Proteome"
- Shinya Kuroda (University of Tokyo)
"Systems Analysis of Spike-Timing Dependent Synaptic Plasticity"
- Signal Transduction - Oct. 11th, 14:00-16:30
Chairs: Philippe Bastiaens (EMBL Heidelberg), Boris Kholodenko (Thomas Jefferson Univ.), Shinya Kuroda (Univ. of Tokyo)
- Boris N. Kholodenko (Thomas Jefferson University)
"Cell-signaling Dynamics in Time and Space"
- Hans V. Westerhoff (The University of Manchester)
"Emerging Principles of Living Systems "
- Mariko Hatakeyama (Riken Genomic Sciences Center)
"Ligand-dependent cell fate control of ErbB signaling network in breast cancer cells"
- William S. Hlavacek (Los Alamos National Laboratory)
"Rules for Modeling Signal-Transduction Systems"
- Philippe Bastiaens (EMBL Heidelberg)
"Reaction cycles in the spatial and temporal organization of cell signaling"
Fronts in Systems Biology
- Network Biology - Oct. 10th, 10:30-12:30
Chairs: Marc Vidal (Dana-Farber Cancer Institute), Yoshihide Hayashizaki (RIKEN GSC)
- Marc Vidal (Dana-Farber Cancer Institute)
- Trey Ideker (University of California, San Diego)
"Protein Network Comparative Genomics"
- Yoshihide Hayashizaki (Riken Genomic Sciences Center)
"Genome Network Project in Japan"
- Hideo Higuchi (Tohoku University)
" Single molecule imaging of motor proteins in living cells - deciphering physical networks of molecular motions""
- Complex Systems Biology - Oct. 11th, 9:15-10:30
Chairs: Kwang-Hyun Cho (Seoul National Univ.), Sree N. Sreenath (Case Western Univ.)
- Mihajlo D. Masarovic (Case Western Reserve University)
"Interaction Balance Coordination as Organizing Principle in Complex Systems Biology"
- Jack Donald Keene (Duke University Medical Center)
"Coordination of Gene Expression by RNA Operons"
- Kenneth Alan Loparo (Case Western Research University)
"Applications of Complex Systems Biology to the Study of Neural Systems "
- Control and System Theory for Systems Biology - Oct. 11th, 11:00-12:30
Chairs: Francis J, Doyle (UCSB), Rudi Gunawan (National Univ. of Singapore)
- Francis J. Doyle (University of California, Santa Barbara)
"Robustness Analysis of Biological Networks Using Sensitivity Measures"
- Pablo A. Iglesias (Johns Hopkins University)
"Feedback Control Regulation of Cell Division"
- John Doyle (California Institute of Technology)
"The architecture of cellular regulation"
- Synthetic Biology - Oct. 11th, 14:00-16:30
Chairs: Drew Endy (MIT)
- Drew Endy (MIT)
"Languages and Grammars for Programming in DNA"
- Adam Arkin (UC Berkeley)
"Applications in Systems and Synthetic Biology"
- Mitsuhiro Itaya (Keio University)
"Impact of a Whole Genome Cloning on Systems Biology"
- Tetsuya Yomo (Osaka University)
"Adaptive Response of a Gene Network to Environmental Changes by Fittness-induced Attractor Selection"
- Vitor Martins dos Santos (Helmholtz Centre for Infection Resaerch)
"Programmable Bacteria Catalysis"
- Novel computational environments for systems biology - Oct. 11th, 14:00-16:00
Chairs: Douglas Kell (Univ. of Manchester), Pedro Mendes (Virginia Tech.)
- Junichi Tsujii (University of Tokyo)
" Linking Text with Knowledge - Challenges in Text Mining for Biology"
- Carole Anne Goble (University of Manchester)
"Distributed Computing Environments and Workflows for Systems Biology"
- Andrea Califano (Columbia University)
"The DREAM project: Establishing a Community-based Gold Standard for Systems Biology"
- Michael Hucka (California Institute of Technology)
"The Systems Biology Markup Language (SBML): Where It's Been and Where It's Going"
- Nicolas le Novere (EMBL-EBI)
"MIRIAM and Biomodels DB:, Curation and Exchange of Quantitative Models"
Student Sessions: Oct. 10th 14:00-16:30
Chairs: Marc Vidal (Dana-Farber Cancer Institute)
Organizers: Satya Arjunan (Keio University),
John Cumbers (Brown University)
- MAPK SIGNALING NETWORK PROPERTIES GIVING RISE TO SPECIFIC CELLULAR FATE DECISIONS (BS24)
Silvia Santos, Philippe Bastiaens (EMBL)
- Applied genome-scale modelling of Aspergillus niger (FI58)
Mikael Andersen, Michael L. Nielsen, Jens Nielsen (Technical Univ. of Denmark)
- Regulatory Dynamics of Synthetic Gene Networks with Positive Feedback (FS06)
Yusuke Maeda, Masaki Sano (The Univ. of Tokyo)
- Monitoring MAPK osmo-signaling in individual yeast cells (BS09)
Dale Muzzey, Carlos Gomez-Uribe, Jerome Mettetal, Alexander van Oudenaarden (MIT-Harvard)
- Mathematical modelling of the role of HIF-1 in tumour growth (FN27)
Alexander Fletcher, Jonathan Chapman, Christopher Breward (University of Oxford)
- Study of Dependency of Synchronization of Beta-cells Insulin Secretion on Size of Langerhans Islets (MD04)
Ariosto Silva, Jose Yunes (Centro Infantil Boldrini)
Poster Sessions: Oct. 9th 16:30-18:00, Oct. 10th 16:30-18:30
All the posters will be kept posted during the conference period 9th and 10th.
We'd kindly ask the poster authors to be present at the posters on Oct 9th 16:30 - 18:00 and 10th 16:30 - 18:30.